Thursday, February 22, 2007

Episode 4:Have I really been here a month?!


Konichiwa-mina san!

Wednesday and Thursday trips to the IC have become a routine that I'm particularly fond of these days. In order to better appreciate my situation, let me explain why these trips are almost therapeutic in quality. I normally sleep in, then take a leisurely pace to have some breakfast, some green tea, and I then gather my computer and belongings into my travel bag. After a quick trip on the train (for a buck fifty) I walk over to the fabled Mister Donut. Since MD has dollar donut days on Wednesday and Thursday, I pick any donut for 100 yen. (Normally this would be an outrage for Timmies' fans, but here, it's a pretty decent price.) 120 yen for a heated can of coffee, and I'm on my way to sit in a comfortable chair, with free wireless internet access. With my headphones jacked in, I listen to music, reminisce about my week, eat my food, drink my coffee and respond to e-mails from friends and family alike. I also watch my favourite TV show (Heroes) and check out a full week's worth of online comics, and website updates. it's almost like a tiny Christmas just for me. Anywho, I'm quite normally in a very good mood for the day's posting, and today is no exception. Now, onto the strange and the new, like the pancake/icecream/maple syrup sandwhich that I'm eating in the picture above.






I had my first Karaoke experience the other night! That's right, Japanese Karaoke at its best. When you read this post, remember that Karaoke is pronounced (Ka-ra-o-kay) and directly translated from Japanese means "Empty Orchestra." Anywho, here are a few pics of Neil, Leigh, Richard, Tomo-san, myself, Joey, Graham and Ellen. We went to two different Karaoke places that night, and the night ended at about 4am. Though almost unheard of in Canada, it is quite normal for Karaoke groups in Japan to go all night, catching the first train home in the morning to get ready for work. Also, unlike Karaoke in Canada, where you sing infront of a whole bar full of people, you actually go and rent a small room, bring your own booze (which is inexpensive in Japan btw) and pay by the hour. With a group of 6-8 people, you probably only have to pay under $20 Canadian each for the night, and you can have all the free softdrinks you want (for mixing or otherwise.) Now, hopefully you don't have to be in a place with kitchy leopard print walls, but hey man, c'est la vie. Everyone who was there that night were from the EU, except for Tomo-san and myself. Benjamin + Bohemian Rhapsody = Canada Represent!

Right, so I promised a little info on Tristan in this post, and I don't like to disappoint. Where to begin, I wonder... well he's been here for one week, and he's finished his OJT (on the job training) as of yesterday. He's an Aussie, and he's 21. He has never lived on his own before, and he has never been overseas, until now that is. I have no doubt that this is quite the system shock for him, but despite this fact he seems to be adjusting quite well. He has begun learning a few stock phrases in Japanese, and he's a snappy dresser. We share some similar interests when it comes to comic books, and though I feel like we're very different people coming from two very different walks of life, I'm not worried that there will be any conflicts. Thusfar it has been good, and I hope for that arrangement to continue.

On an entirely different note, I want to mention that I may end up purchasing a scooter. That's right, a scooter. I'm pretty stoked, and I think it would really make some trips pretty fun. I've got a fellow co-worker and Canadian (Jon) looking into insurance, international licence, etc, and he's also thinking of getting one. $500 can buy you a scooter here, and the insurance on a $500 scooter isn't that bad, as you'll probably just get the basic on that covers damage to other people's vehicles. I think it would be pretty cool be ride around in Japan on a scooter taking pics of the countryside on my days off. Not to mention, I could paint it in Red and White colours, representing Japan, Canada, AND Switzerland.

We've had a lot of rain here recently, and though it's nothing compared to the -30 C weather going on in Canada, I've had to carry an umbrella around most of the time. I find that Japan looks quite beautiful in the rain, and I've uploaded a picture from my appartment balcony for you to see. Not a great pic, but still, maybe it'll help capture the atmosphere here.

Finally, before I sign off, I just want to mention that though my Katakana training has been slow, I've got a few more characters under my belt, and I've joined up with Tomo-san's Japanese class Monday and Tuesday mornings before work. He's a great guy, and I'm sure that under his training my Japanese will improve quickly.

See you all next week, same Ben time, same Ben Blog.

-ja matta neh.
Did you know that when you order food at a food court here they give you a buzzer, you go sit down and when you're food's ready they beep you? I thought this was amazing, as the picture clearly shows.


Also, I don't know what to say about that last pic... apparently it was a shape to be revered... ummm... ???

3 Comments:

Blogger antimattr said...

hi bentron,

huzzah for updates!

glad you're doing well and that your new roommate isn't evil.

also, i'm much looking forward to your scooter-enhanced adventures (hopefully that dream comes true).

rock on brother,

-matt

p.s. download picasa (or similar) and resize your pics before uploading them to blogger, sheesh!

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ben!
I'm here with cousin Ron finding out how to access your blog and leave you a message. I will talk more later but am glad you got there safely and hope you are enjoying this experience.

Bye for now,
Love
Auntie Edith & Garfield

4:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, that totally changes the timbre of the song.

In other news, good to know you've been keeping busy and that you're settling in well. Japan was probably my first choice, but eh, friends here = easier.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home