Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Episode 3 - Oddities and Tribulations



Konichiwa Mina-san!

There are so many things to talk about and so little time to talk about them! I'm on a time restriction today, as my new roommate will be arriving today at 2pm. He's an Aussie (like 40% of all Nova Teachers) and his name is Tristan Barry. I spent all morning cleaning up my 'lovely' appartment and setting up his room, so hopefully that works out. I'm going to dedicate a portion of my next posting to talk about Tristan, but until then, let's get back to my story.

Right, so I finally got a chance to see something that many Japanese people are embarassed about! About once a week at my school in Tsuminami there is a large group of people who drive in large cars and trucks in a parade of sorts waving HUGE banners and shouting over megaphones. I was obviously curious as to what all the noise was, and so I went out and asked the Japanese staff at the desk, "Whoa, what's that all about?" She nervously and shyly responded saying that it was a right wing activist political party group that basically hate all foreigners and want them out of Japan. Apparently they have a bit of a following here (not a huge one mind you, so don't you worry!) I thought it was hilarious, and I asked Neil (a fellow teacher) about it. He said that he thinks it's so funny, because sometimes they'll come by during a lesson, and he says his students all start rocking in their chairs and looking down at the floor. Hahaha. A very uncomfortable situation for them, but as long as we don't draw attention to it, I'm pretty sure that nothing bit will come from it. I would guarantee that almost 100% of our students don't belong to that party, seeing how Nova's teachers are exclusively foreigners.




Oh, and hey, I finally got a chance to go walking around through the underbelly of Tsushimmachi! So exciting. I went down a few dark side alleys and found a lot of "snack" bars. (Snack bars are essentially like prostitution bars.) And in case you were wondering, NO, I didn't go in! I also found a cool temple and some neat stores. One store that I found here in Tsushimmachi probably has the best sign I've ever seen. Now, the picture didn't turn out so well (camera phone pic) BUT, I will tell you now that the sign was brown.

Right, so teaching has been pretty good thusfar. I had an observation recently, and I did quite well. I've also had a chance to teach some kids classes. Right now I'm the teacher for 3 Junior classes (ages 6-9) and 1 Senior class. No Kinders, or Chibikos at this point, but hopefully next month I'll get the chance. I may sub in for a Chibiko class sometime soon, so that will be awesome... Chibiko classes are for 2-3 year olds, and they're there with their parents. All you do is sing and do some games. Krazy fun.

Our Soccer team had a challenging night on Sunday, since there were some new Ninhonjin teams out. I must say though, team Gaijin (we wear orange vests) has dominated in the last two nights. On Sunday, we played about 6 games (20min each) and we won each and every one of them! We're kicking-ろば and taking names! (If you can read Japanese, you'll be fine with that last sentence.) I'm in the midst of making a video for our soccer team, but you'll have to wait a few weeks before you get to see it. I've gotta get a lot more footage, and of course, some crazy Japanese music to re-mix it to. I'll try and fly a Canadian banner in there somewhere.





Also, one of my new friends Gill (like a fish gill) and her friend Leigh (Lee) hosted a trivia night on Monday night. I've got a few pics of some of us, but don't let these deceive you because it was a killer turn out with 21 people in total. Although my team didn't opt for the name "Team Optimus Prime" we still managed to take the bronze medal. 3rd out of 7 isn't that bad... Our game was excellent in the beginning, but after a bottle of Sake and some beer, it's sometimes hard to get all the answers, right? Haha.

Well, with that I believe I will bid you fairwell for now, and if you've got an $40 bucks, ship me some Tim Horton's Coffee... the stuff here is terrible.

Ja mata neh,

-benjamin

(Mmmm... deep fried Squid tentacles!)
(Japanese Graffiti is so hardcore, eh?)
(Although one person is lonely, he is making it cleverness.... ???)


3 Comments:

Blogger antimattr said...

another exciting post my friend!

hopefully everything is well with the new roomy. if not, we can do a conference call adn let r.a. matt weigh in on the matter ;P

rock on, and keep the peace,

-matt

p.s., more engrish!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ben! It's the McEvoy's from Erin. We have been reading your BLOG with much enthusiasm. Being that I myself am a fairly low-techy, this is my first BLOG experience. Your trip sounds awesome - sorry we did not get a chance to talk to you before you left, we had the dates mixed up. Japan is lucky to have you. Be well and keep the news coming.

Your family in Erin!

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cous
Reading your weekly blog with my Sunday morning Timmy's is my cultural time.If I had your mailing address there I would send you a extra large( but I think it may be a little chilled on arrival)lets try!Been gettin lots of snow here.O the joy
Glad too hear its going well
They 're are lucky to have you!
Take care
Rockin Ron

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home