Friday, April 20, 2007

Episode 12: A quarter don't come for free

I'm a quarter finished my stay here, and as I sit at my computer I can't help but think of all the experiences that I've missed back home. Three months without my family, my mom's cooking, my brothers, my sister, my girlfriend, her graduation, my friends and their continuingly interesting obsessions. I'll be missing another summer at the laboratory, some good cash, Canadian food, BBQs... okay, lots of BBQs... extended family get-togethers... essentially, I have, or will be missing everything that was a normal part of my life for one full year, including some events that only happen once in a lifetime. Does this bother me? Does it make me want to return early? Kind of yes, but kind of no. I love my friends and family and Canada, but in exchange for all this, I have made new friends, seen new things, and experienced so much culture. I know for me this was a good deal, an enlightening experience and totally worth it in every sense. If you feel yourself in a similar situation where you're not sure about taking that leap, then I can tell you that I feel your pain, and I know how hard it is to make that decision... still, I'm reminded of a quotation I heard recently where "a one point in our lives, the cost to remain a bud is more expensive than the cost to blossom." Here's hoping that the next three months are as exciting and interesting to me as the past three.

Okay, now onto the pictures and the explanations of fun!

First thing I want to touch up on is the toilet situation... now I know most of you have probably heard that some Asian countries don't have traditional Western toilets and that they have to take a crap into a hole in the ground... well this just isn't the case with Japan... They have something that resembles more of an outwards facing scoop, not a hole. You squat, you do your business, and then water shoots along the scoop like thing, and voila, you're done! Now there are a couple things you'll need to know of course. First, most bathrooms have a bar for you to hold on to in order to keep your balance. Second, if you make it a quick go, you might not even cramp up! Third, they don't normally have toilet paper in the toilets, so you have to bring tissues wherever you go. Of course, this isn't always the case in Japan, since many places will have normal Western style throne toilets to do your business on. Still, if you use the scoop, then you can be guaranteed that your buttocks won't touch the hairy remains of the person before you. It's cleaner! Many Japanese would say "good situation." I just wanted to give you all a heads-up in case you visit.


With that delectable tidbit of information out of the way, I want to touch up on some new hobbies of mine. I just recently bought some Calligraphy paper, a big paint brush, and lots of india ink. Yes, that's right, Benjamin is trying to get into the art of Calligraphy... well at least a little... You see, the problem is, I don't have the technique, a teacher, or even any necessary skills. Furthermore, I lack an understanding of brush stroke order. Finally, I'm also lacking the knowledge of volumes of Kanji that most adults here possess. That being said, here's what Takeda Shingen's Chinese banner would have looked like back in the day. FURIN KAZAN. (As quick as the wind, as silent as the forest, as fierce as fire, as immovable as mountains.) With all my calligraphy ineptitudes in mind, I have also taken up a second hobby, water colour painting. This doesn't require any level of Kanji memorization, and in fact, I can do much research and learning about techniques through self-practice and internet searching. This one here on the left is my first work. Yes, I know, it's a little cliche to be putting a mountain that resembles Fuji-san in the background, but hey, it's my first day. ...Quack quack quack (Simpson's reference.)


I'd like to extend a special thank you to everyone who as sent me any goodies in the mail as of late. I'm kitted out in Canadian coffee for the moment, and for that I feel especially blessed. Domo Arigato Gozaimas Mina-san!!! (translation = Thank you all so very much!)




Now, I'd really like to get into some beautiful advice that I read at the "Foods Garden" in Kuwana the other day. I think it applies to all of us, and will aid us in our understanding of what is acceptable in terms of eating, drinking tea, serving dinner, as well as bringing our simple lives back into perspective. Without any further ado, I present my search for meaning in the Foods Garden of Kuwana!!!


"Please spend such great time by all means in this place." This one is very deep, so please allow me to interpret. What this Foods Garden proverb decrees is that you should always spend your time, your time here on Earth, by all means. Not any means, but ALL means. You shall experience all different walks of life, through this place (Earth) and thus, it would be folly to deny yourself some of it's experiences. Deep.


"A pleasant meal is... 1/Eat with a precious family and friends, 2/Eat with a your lover, 3/Eat a delcious and reasonable foods." Ahhh yes... I happen to especially enjoy dining with 'a your' lover. Though delicious and reasonable foods are quite wholesome for both the stomach as well as the wallet. Such good advice, how could you refute such a statement? The answer = it is impossible to do so.


"Isn't tea drunk for just for a moment after doing some shopping?" Definitely deep. What this one is saying is that material acquisition is but a long moment between what really matters... taking sips of the world. Ahhh... O'cha. (green tea)



"Resting will also become time important for you." This one is simply stating that after life we have no rest for we are reborn into a new state of being. Therefore rest is one goal that all can acheive but few understand is intrinsic to our soul's existance on all planes of being. Or something like that.



Since my head is spinning from all that deep advice, I'm gonna cut it short this week. Thanks for tuning in, and make sure to check back next Thursday (Canadian Thursday) same Ben time, same Ben channel!


Ja mattane,

-benjamin


p.s. Here's some delicious Engrish on a magnetic basket I saw in a 100 yen store. In case you didn't know... "It is possible easily to install and to detatch and to do by tha magnet type." Beautiful.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,
It's Saturday Apr.21 at 11:00 p.m. It sounds like you are having a terrific experience. We miss you too. Today was the first taste of summer here. It was 22 degrees. I walked to the grocery store it was such a nice day. I feel so enlightened after hearing your bathroom story.
Take good care of yourself,
Love Auntie Edith & Garfield
XXOO

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the engrish!!! i'm always amused by it!!!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home